School of Pharmacy

MPharm Student Undertakes Laboratory Placement

Reading time

After successfully applying for an Undergraduate Research Opportunities Scheme (UROS), Saffah, was able to gain experience at Lincoln’s Joseph Banks Laboratories.

Saffah wrote about her experience below.

My Summer Placement in the Laboratory

During summer 2019, I completed a seven-week, lab-based project with the School of Pharmacy’s Dr Tobias Gruber. The aim of my project was to synthesise compounds to target antibiotic resistance.

One of the reasons I decided to take on this project, was because despite enjoying Chemistry, it is a subject I believe I needed more practise and time to focus on, outside of my MPharm course.

I learnt a great deal whilst working with instruments such as a rotary evaporator and an ultrasonic bath, as well as learning how to prepare and run NMR samples. I also improved immensely on my practical skills. I even had the opportunity to be the first to synthesise a compound that has never before been produced (as pictured).

I really appreciated the opportunity to work in collaboration with Dr Gruber and to be able to spend more time focusing on the chemistry side of pharmacy.

One of my favourite aspects about the project was meeting and socialising with other students in the laboratories, including Postgraduate students, Pharmaceutical Science students and also a summer placement student from the University of Oxford. Working in the same environment as these students allowed me to understand things from varying perspectives, and to be able to implement these approaches into my own way of thinking and working.

Furthermore, I obtained a good idea of what having a lab-based project would entail. This will hopefully aid me later in my course, when deciding which type of project to pursue in my fourth-year at the University of Lincoln.

Overall, I really enjoyed the experience and would definitely recommend other students to take the time to appreciate the chemistry side of pharmacy!

By Saffah H Danial (3rd Year MPharm Student)

Find out more about the School of Pharmacy online.

About the Author

hmcgowan

149 Articles